Wednesday, August 3, 2011

That Much? REALLY???

According to the USDA, Americans spend 44% of their food budgets eating out.  REALLY????  I know that having a child with Autism hinders a lot of what we can do, but I could not imagine spending 44% of my family's (of 8) food budget eating out.

My family eats out only 1 day a week.  It is lunch on Saturday.  And that is IF and ONLY IF our children have been good throughout the week.  Maybe you should not reward with food, but Burger King is a great influencer sometimes. (you can read my blog about our family here.)

I admit that my family is one of those who do not spend much money, time or calories dining out, but you can, and have to have, healthy eating choices no matter where you dine.  Try not to go to the "Bottomless" and "All You Can Eat" buffets.  "Battered", "Crispy", "Crunchy" and "Fried" are also not good healthy eating choices on a regular basis.  And just like at home, "Baked", "Broiled", "Grilled" and "Roasted" are usually very good options.

Many people ask me what I do on busy nights with no time to cook.  I admit, I have more of those that I would like to have.  My "Busy Night-Go-to Menu": Rotisserie Chicken, Couscous, and Salad (of some sort).  You will spend more time chopping salad than you will anything else.

Recipe for my family's favorite salad:
Avocados (I use 3 for my family)
Tomatoes (again, I use 3)
Red Onion (1)
Lemon Juice (I use the juice of 2 whole Lemons)
Salt, Pepper and Garlic (I grate 2 cloves of fresh, but it can be omitted if you do not like fresh garlic) to taste.
Slice, Dice and Mix and you are good to go!   
**SIDE NOTE** make only what you (or your family) will eat, this salad will not keep.

No comments: